Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Tarte aux framboises (raspberry tart)



We have been enjoying lots of strawberries, cherries and rapsberries this season. Switzerland is a lovely place for berries!

Now we didn't pick these raspberries ourselves, but I got them at the farm which is a few hundred meters away. And I have almost as warm a feeling toward these raspberries as I did toward the strawberries we picked ourselves.



The amazing thing about many farms around Zurich is you can buy eggs, milk and fresh produce on faith: the farm "shop" is unattended (save by a camera in some cases), and you can help yourself and are trusted to put the right sum in the cash box.

Our local farm is not quite so trusting, and offers a huge produce "distributor," or a big closet whose compartments snap open when you enter the right sum of money.

When I bought these raspberries, for some reason the machine swallowed my 5 franc coin and produced no raspberries in exchange. I could have rung the bell, but the sign was clear: please do not disturb from 12:30 to 1:30 during the lunch break. This being Switzerland, I took the request seriously. So I left a note.

A few hours later, the farmer called me on my cell phone, and when I returned to collect my raspberries she gave me two boxes instead of the one I had paid for, to make up for the inconvenience.

The Swiss are not always warm and fuzzy, but they are very service-oriented, and will make it up to you when a mistake is made. I will gladly shop at this farm again.





I was again surprised at how well my tart came out. My husband's birthday was yesterday, and raspberries are his favorite fruit. I followed the same procedure as for the strawberry tart. This time the crème pâtissière wasn't too runny (I cooked it longer), but the crust was a little overbaked. Even though they wouldn't eat any of the final product, my 3 and 5-year-old daughters helped me place the rapsberries on the cream ("no yellow! I don't want to see any yellow!") and I lightly brushed the berries with the leftover glaze from the strawberry tart. Delicious!



And I just found out that Zorra of 1x umrühren is hosting an event for which this post seems appropriate: "Swiss National Day: Red, white or Swiss." This will be my contribution, I hope it helps to make her feel less homesick for Switzerland!

15 comments:

angelica said...

Here in Bavaria, people aren't all that friendly either, and I imagine a situation like yours would only end with me getting yelled at for complaining... :p (No, I would never exaggerate. Ok, maybe a little, but still.)

Your tart looks wonderful, by the way!

Astrid said...

Hello Angelica - Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean the Swiss aren't friendly. They just don't gush or beam the way they might in some other countries (I'm going to stop making generalizations about nationalities now, or I'll get myself into trouble). But I have found that their reputation for efficiency and professionalism is often justified, which is all the friendliness I need when it comes to service.

angelica said...

Astrid, I absolutely got what you meant, and I agree -- unlike the Germans and Austrians, the Swiss are actually professional and efficient (there are probably professional and efficient Germans/Austrians as well, but I have yet to meet any, so pardon my generalisation) so it's okay that they aren't overly friendly. I just don't like it when people are plain rude to me. :)

La Noisette said...

Wow, it's look delicious... I live too in Zürich can you say me where is this farm, it could be an interesting ride?

linda said...

The crème pâtissière looks perfect and so does the tart. Pity raspberries are always pretty expensive here. I live in the city so no farms around the corner ;)
Happy (belated) birthday to your husband!

Gay said...

the raspberrys look even better than the strawberrys! Did you go to the same farm where you got the pumpkins? Happy Birthday to J!!

Kai Carver said...

mmm, berries...

wow, if you made me a red currant pie, it would make me berry, berry happy... ideally it would have something like a 9 to 1 fruit/crust ratio, and it would be both sweet and sour but not too much... mmm...

did you know currants were actually illegal in the US until very recently? there's really something very wrong with that country ;-)

Katie said...

This looks beautiful, just stunning.

Elra said...

Astrid,
I just bought raspberry at the market and saw your posting...
Voila, another idea for me.... Raspberry Tarte!

Miri said...

Your tart looks so yummy and beautiful! Loved your writing about the local farms in your area.

Aran said...

Happy birthday to your husband and let me tell you, this tart looks delicious... nothing beats great fruit with a bit of custard!

Inga said...

This looks so beautiful & yummy. (Actually raspberry tart is one of my favorites.) I also meant to tell you that the photo of the girls picking strawberries is the sweetest ever!

Tartelette said...

Has anybody ever told you that your husband had a little something of Jean-Hughes Anglade? The tart and the strawberry one before that are mouth watering!

zorra said...

Lucky husband! :-)

You know what, I would have run the bell.

So Simple said...

Astrid

That tarte looks so pretty. It is winter where I live and fresh raspberries would be lovely at the moment
Cheers